This is a hit in my house. For the kids, I get the frozen Trader Joes Naan and they wrap up everything.
Slow Cooker Chicken Shawarma
Serves: 4 servings
- 2 Lemon (juiced)
- ¼ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 6 Garlic (cloves, minced)
- ½ tsp Sea Salt
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Cumin
- ¼ tsp Cayenne Pepper (more if you like it spicy)
- 2 lbs Chicken Thighs (skinless, boneless)
- ½ cup Red Onion (diced)
- 4 cups Baby Spinach (chopped)
- 1 Tomato (diced)
- ½ Cucumber (diced)
- ¼ cup Parsley (chopped)
- ½ cup Hummus
- In the slow cooker combine the lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, cumin and cayenne pepper. Mix well. Add the chicken thighs and toss well to coat. Add the red onion and mix again. Put on the lid and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours.
- Once it is cooked through, use a fork to transfer the chicken thighs from the slow cooker to a plate. Chop into pieces with a knife.
- Optional: For crispier chicken, heat a frying pan over medium heat. Add a few spoonfuls of the leftover liquid from the slow cooker and then and add the chicken. Saute until the pieces are browned and crisp on the ends.
- Serve chicken on a plate with spinach, tomato and cucumber. Garnish with parsley and hummus. Drizzle with a lemon wedge or the leftover liquid from your slow cooker. Enjoy!