Keys to getting this meal on the table in 10 minutes minutes:
Earlier in the day or night before cook the quinoa and make the teriyaki sauce and marinate the chicken breasts. Also, wash and chop your veggies and have them ready to add to the pan.
Teriyaki Chicken Kale Stir Fry
Serves: 4 servings
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 boneless skinless organic chicken breasts
- 2 cups shiitake mushrooms
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 3 cups kale, washed and cut into thin strips
- 1 cup green beans, cut in half
- 1 tablespoon unrefined organic virgin coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- For the sauce
- From Gwyneth Paltrow's It's All Good
- ⅓ cup balsamic vinegar
- ⅓ cup raw honey
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon miso (can find in the asian food section or refrigerated section with other fermented foods)
- 1 teaspoon mirin also called rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- Rinse the quinoa in a fine mesh strainer a few times until water.
- Add the quinoa to a sauce pan and cover with 2 cups of water.
- Heat over medium to high heat and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and let it sit for 5 minutes before fluffing with a fork.
- Note, if you are making this earlier in the day. Just turn off the heat and leave on the stove.
- Combine the balsamic vinegar, honey, ginger and pepper in a small saucepan
- Bring to a boil, lower to simmer and cook for 10 minutes
- Add the miso, mirin, and water and let cool
- Marinate the chicken in half the sauce and reserve the rest (can marinate overnight)
- When you are ready to cook
- Cut the chicken breast into thin strips
- Heat a heavy bottom pan over medium heat.
- Add ½ tablespoon coconut oil to the pan
- Add the chicken and cook until cooked through
- Toss with half the sesame seeds.
- Remove the chicken and set aside
- Add another ½ tablespoon of coconut oil to the pan
- Add the shiitake and let them start to cook down
- Add the green beans and let them get a little moisture in them and start to cook
- Finally add the carrots and kale
- Stir frequently until everything is combined and starts to cook down
- Add 2 cups of the cooked quinoa
- Toss with the remaining teriyaki sauce
- Top with chicken and the rest of the sesame seeds and serve